This seminar is intended to provide knowledge required for Ship Security Officers designated as per section A/12.1 of the ISPS Code, to perform their duties in accordance with the requirements of ISPS section A/12.
In addition by the end of this course, participants will be able to perform their duties in accordance with the requirements of IMDG Code and STCW Code, as amended and EU regulation on enhancing ship and port facility security (725/2004).
Our Ship Security Officers course is prepared according to the Mandatory Minimum Requirements for the Issue of Certificates of Proficiency for Ship Security Officers, set out in section A-VI/5, paragraphs 1 to 4 of the STCW 78, as amended and the IMO Model Course 3.19.
Aims & Objectives
- This model course aims to provide knowledge to those who may be designated to perform the duties and responsibilities of a Ship Security Officer (SSO), as defined in section A-V/5, A-VI-/VI of the STCW and in particular the duties and responsibilities with respect to the security of a ship, for implementing and maintaining a Ship Security Plan and for liaising with the Company Security Officer (CSO) and with Port Facility Security Officers (PFSOs).
- Assist you with a good understanding of the ISPS Code
- Undertake the duties assigned in the Ship Security Plan as Ship Security Officer.
- Respond to Piracy conditions as requested by latest edition of the latest edition of Best Management Practice guide
Having successfully completed this course you will be able to:
- Undertake regular security inspections of the ship to ensure that appropriate security measures are maintained
- Maintain and supervising the implementation of the Ship Security Plan, including any amendments to the plan
- Coordinate the security aspects of passengers, and/or the handling of cargo and ship’s stores with other shipboard personnel and with the relevant Port Facility Security Officers
- Propose modifications to the Ship Security Plan
- Report to the Company Security Officer any deficiencies and non-conformities identified during internal audits, periodic reviews, security inspections and verifications of compliance and implementing any corrective actions
- Enhance security awareness and vigilance on board
- Ensure that adequate training has been provided to shipboard personnel, as appropriate
- Report all security incidents
- Coordinate implementation of the Ship Security Plan with the Company Security Officer and the relevant Port Facility Security Officer
- Ensure that security equipment is properly operated, tested, calibrated and maintained, if any
- Receive the level of knowledge for the subjects listed in column 2 of table A-VI/5 and training as per guidance in section B-VI/5 of STCW code
- Cover the required objectives of IMO Model Course 3.19
Who should attend?
- Officers to be assigned as Ship Security Officers
- SSO who want to refresh their knowledge for their duties and responsibilities
Prerequisite skills & knowledge:
- It is assumed that those attending this course will be serving seafarers (or other shipboard personnel) and that they are likely to be designated as ship security officer. However, no specific entry requirements are envisaged.
- Basic understanding of SOLAS Ch XI – 2 and STCW is recommended.
- Participants aiming for a certificate of Ship Security Officers should be officers as defined in STCW 78, as amended before assignment of SSO duties
Relative conventions: SOLAS Chapter XI-2, ISPS code, STCW Code, IMDG Code, EU regulations
Available in-house/distant learning? Yes
Created by: LiberoAssurance Continuous Professional Development Training Centre Level 1 – Accredited by Greek Ministry of Education & Religious Affairs Accreditation No. 2101338
- Detailed seminar book (available for download)
- No. of pages: 109
- Reading lists and resources available in presentations
Study time allocation
- Private study hours: 51
- Trainer contact hours: Availability and competence of instructors upon request
- Enrollment duration: 90 days (from the date of purchase)
- CPD Points: 51
- ECTS/ECVET Points: 1.7
% contribution to final mark
% Minimum passing grade
Exam on Security Training for Ship Security Officers
Upon successful completion of the course assessment, participants will be issued with a ‘Certificate of Success’.