This course has been designed by ISM experts to meet with the criteria of the IMO Guidelines contained in Circular MSC – MEPC.7 Circ. 6 (19 October 2007), but it has also been developed with much practical knowledge of both the shipping industry and the legal issues that surround the role of the DPA.
Become proficient in ISM Code matters, guidelines, applicable codes, standards, procedures by participating in ISM & Designated Person Ashore course offered by LiberoAssurance.
The aim of the course is to provide knowledge, understanding and proficiency necessary to understand ISM code and also to provide training for all DPAs (and those preparing to become DPAs) so that they can fully understand their responsibilities and roles of this important position with respect to full compliance with the ISM Code.
Aims & Objectives
- Provide the key requirements and benefits of the ISM Code
- Offer the knowledge and skills required in accordance with the guidance and recommendation given by the IMO MSC-MEPC.7/circ.6
- Deliver the training necessary for the application and maintenance of a company’s Safety Management Code.
Having successfully completed this course you will:
- Have an extended knowledge and understanding of the ISM Code
- Understand the background and objectives of the Code
- Gain knowledge on the applicable codes, guidelines and standards as appropriate and the relevant mandatory rules and regulations
- Define the resulting requirements for the company’s SMS
- Understand the responsibilities and authority of the DPA, possible legal exposure, as well as other potential difficulties
- Take the duties of a DPA as defined in IMO MSC – MEPC.7 Circ. 6 provided you are qualified according to this circular
- Provide documentary evidence as a DPA proving that you are capable to undertake the necessary duties
- Understand the assessment techniques of examining, questioning, evaluating and reporting
- Have guidance for participation in a marine-related management system audit
- Have adequate knowledge of shipping and shipboard operations
- Apply the technical and operational aspects of their Safety Management System
- Carry out effective communications with shipboard staff and senior management
- Know the related requirements included STCW 2010 and MLC 2006 for better understanding of ISM effect
Who should attend?
- Shipping Companies
- Personnel involved in Safety Management Systems
- Quality Managers
- Assistant DPAs
- Deck & Engine officers
- Anyone who seeks a DPA position
Relative Conventions: SOLAS 74 AS AMENDED CHAPTER IX- ISM Code, STCW 2010, Marpol, MLC 2006
Prerequisite skills & knowledge:
1. Non DPAs trainees
- Experience in shipping and ship operations and good knowledge of the ISM Code. Knowledge of MLC, STCW, and Marpol should also be very useful.
2. Persons intended for DPA certification
- Qualifications from a tertiary institution recognized by the Administration or by the recognized organization, within a relevant field of management, engineering or physical science, OR
- Qualifications and seagoing experience as a certified ship officer pursuant to the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watch keeping for Seafarers (STCW), 1978, as amended, OR
- Other formal education combined with not less than three years practical senior level experience in ship management operations.
Available in-house/distant learning? Yes
Created by: LiberoAssurance Continuous Professional Development Training Centre Level 1 - Accredited by Greek Ministry of Education & Religious Affairs Accreditation No. 2101338
- Detailed seminar presentations (available for download)
- No. of slides: 279
- Reading lists and resources available in presentations
Study time allocation
- Private study hours: 33
- Trainer contact hours: Availability and competence of instructors upon request
- Enrollment duration: 90 days (from the date of purchase)
- CPD Points: 33
- ECTS/ECVET Points: 1.1
% contribution to final mark
% Minimum passing grade
Upon successful completion of the course assessment, participants will be issued with a ‘Certificate of Success’.