This course, designed by LiberoAssurance Training Team, aims to provide an overview of the shipping industry. It defines and describes all aspects of shipping, the personnel who work in it, the history behind it and touches on the financial side of the industry. It aims to educate and inform newcomers to shipping and those whose jobs require a basic grasp of how the industry works.
Learn the basics of ships and familiarize with the aspects of Ship Management, Codes Conventions and key organisations involved in the maritime industry through our Introduction to Shipping Course.
Aims & Objectives
- Familiarize delegates with maritime industry and international trade: develop knowledge and understanding of ship, cargoes carried by ships and the commercial use of ships
- Equip participants with the basics of ship management
- Provide an overview of the maritime industry’s legislative control, conventions, regulations and insurance
By the end of this course participants will able to:
- Understand the importance of the shipping industry as a global economic activity
- Learn about main parts of the vessel, differentiate characteristics of cargoes and relate types of cargoes with types of ships
- Understand the critical aspects in ship selection, purchase and breaking
- Understand the alternative forms of vessel employment
- Demonstrate basic knowledge on the methods of ship investment and management for ship owning, registering, insuring and using the ship
- Know the role of the key authorities and organizations involved in the shipping industry
- Identify the structure and contents of the key maritime codes and conventions
Who should attend?
- Personnel within the shipping industry
- Prospective employees in shipping industry
- Crew / Shore personnel (entry level)
- Anyone who wishes to get a basic idea of shipping industry
Available in-house/distant learning? Yes
Created by: LiberoAssurance Continuous Professional Development Training Centre Level 1 (accredited by EOPPEP)
- Historical Retrospection
- Shipping today
- The market
- Basic Ship Categories
- Basic Parts of the Vessel
- Terms & Abbreviations
Ship selection, purchase and breaking
- Choosing the ideal vessel
- Ship-Owner & vessel Marketability
- Methods of investment in shipping
- Sale & Purchase (S&P)
- 2nd Hand Tonnage
- New building Tonnage
- Ship breaking
- Ship management overview
- Technical support
- Operations & commercial
Conventions, Codes and Certificates
- The international Maritime Organization
- IMO Key Conventions
- IMO Key Codes
- Ship Certificates
Flag states, Class and Insurance
- Key authorities
- Flag types
- Marine Insurance
- Annex A – Useful Links
- Annex B – Revenue & Expenses
- Annex C – Baltic Indices
Exam & Certification
- Exam on Introduction to Shipping
- Introduction to Shipping Training Certificate
- Detailed seminar presentations (available for download)
- Glossary with key terms
- No. of slides: 172
- Reading lists and resources available in presentations
Study time allocation
- Private study hours: 13
- Trainer contact hours: Availability and competence of instructors upon request
- Enrolment duration: 90 days (starting from date of purchase)
% contribution to final mark
% Minimum passing grade
Exam on Introduction to Shipping
On successful completion of the course assessment, participants will be issued with a ‘Certificate of Success’
Accreditation by EOPPEP
LiberoAssurance has been accredited as a Continuous Professional Development Training Centre Level 1 by the National Organisation for the Certification of Qualifications & Vocational Guidance (EOPPEP).
EOPPEP is the statutory body for the development and implementation of the Hellenic Qualifications Framework (NQF) in correspondence with the European Qualifications Framework (EQF). EOPPEP is the National Coordination Point for EQF in Greece (NCP).
Approved courses by the Central Greece University of Applied Sciences
LiberoAssurance in cooperation with the Central Greece University of Applied Sciences offers approved courses. All participants have the option to receive double certification from the University and LiberoAssurance Training Centre.
The University of Applied Sciences of Central Greece and LiberoGroup have agreed to develop a research project the purpose of which is education, lifelong learning and specialisation of persons, to facilitate their induction in the labour market using e-learning and traditional methods of training. The ultimate aim of this cooperation is the development of a post-graduate programme in collaboration with other Academic Institutions and Ministries.
Accreditation by IAS and E.S.Y.D
LiberoAssurance has been accredited by the Hellenic Accreditation System (E.SY.D) which has been appointed as the National Accreditation Body of Greece.
LiberoAssurance has been accredited by the International Accreditation Service (IAS) one of the leading accreditation bodies in the United States.