This course objective is to develop the knowledge and skills required to conduct a full audit of an organization's Management System in the capacity of Internal Auditor dedicated for the ISM Code. It will also give the confidence to effectively audit a Management system in accordance with internationally recognized best practice techniques.
Become a certified ISM Internal auditor and demonstrate your commitment towards continual improvement through our Internal Auditor & ISM Audits course.
The course covers the requirements related to internal auditor responsibilities respectively and finally the issues and factors that affect ISM Audits.
Aims & Objectives
- Attract and retain customers by meeting their current and future needs
- Identify the aims and benefits of an ISM audit
- Interpret ISM requirements for audit application
- Plan, conduct and follow-up auditing activities that add real value
- Access the latest auditor techniques and identify appropriate use
- Build stakeholder confidence by managing processes in line with the latest requirements
A trainee successfully completing this course will be able to:
- Plan, conduct, report and follow up an ISM audit
- Identify the purpose and benefits of a management system
- Explain the role and the responsibilities of the Internal Auditor
- Expand the audit principles in relation to ISM code and the verification for certification.
Who should attend?
- People involved in the internal audit process
- people who wish to become competent ISM Internal Auditors
- Management Representatives
- Quality managers
- Designated Persons Ashore (DPAs) and assistant DPAs
- ISO 19011:2011 - Guidelines for auditing management systems
- ISM code
Prerequisite skills & knowledge: Basic Knowledge of ISO standards, ISM management systems and auditing process
Available in-house/distant learning? Yes
Created by: LiberoAssurance Continuous Professional Development Training Centre Level 1 (accredited by EOPPEP)
Part A: Internal Auditor
- What is an Audit?
- Why Audit?
- Tips to trained internal auditor
Quality Management System Audit
- Types of Audits
- Principles of auditing
- Scheduled and unscheduled Audits
- What to Audit – Technical Audit
- Steps involved in internal audit
- Scope of audit
- Frequency of audit
- Internal Audit process
Auditing tips & techniques
- The Auditor’s Six Friends
- Question Technique
- Questioning Technique
- Types of Questions in interviews
- Competence of the person managing the audit programme
- Auditor’s Quality
- The Auditors conduct
- Auditor’s Code Conduct
- Auditor Characteristics
- Auditor's personal behaviour
- Selecting the audit team members
- Auditee’s conduct
Part B: ISM Code Audit, Certification & Verification
Company verification, review and evaluation
- Review of Safety Management System (SMS)
- Internal Audits Intervals Key Issues
- Internal Audit? at which extent?
- Internal Audit Why?
- Internal audit before an external audit
- What about DPA and Audits?
Certification and verification
- Requirements for SMC, DoC
- Comments on the requirements
- ISM Code Requirements
- Comments on the requirements
- Audit report
- Corrective action follow-up
- More Company responsibilities pertaining to safety management audits
- Responsibilities of the Organization (or Flag) performing the ISM Code certification
- Standards of Management for the Organization performing Certification
- Qualification Arrangements
- Certification Procedures & Instructions
- Responsibilities of the verification team & Lead Auditor
- More Guidance for Certification / Verifications
- Standards for Auditors
- Standards of Competence for Auditors
Forms of certificates
- Document of Compliance
- Safety Management Certificate
- Interim Document of Compliance
- Interim Safety Management Certificate
Exam & Certification
- Exam on Internal Auditor & ISM Audits
- “Internal Auditor & ISM Audits” Certificate
- Detailed seminar presentations (available for download)
- Terms and definitions
- No. of Slides: 141
- Reading lists and resources available in the presentations
Study time allocation
- Private study hours: 17
- Trainer contact hours: Availability and competence of instructors upon request
- Enrolment duration: 90 days (starting from date of purchase)
- CPD Points: 17
- ECTS/ECVET Points: 0.6
% contribution to final mark
% Minimum passing grade
Exam on Internal Auditor & ISM Audits
On successful completion of the course assessment, participants will be issued with a ‘Certificate of Success’
Accreditation by EOPPEP
LiberoAssurance has been accredited as a Continuous Professional Development Training Centre Level 1 by the National Organisation for the Certification of Qualifications & Vocational Guidance (EOPPEP).
EOPPEP is the statutory body for the development and implementation of the Hellenic Qualifications Framework (NQF) in correspondence with the European Qualifications Framework (EQF). EOPPEP is the National Coordination Point for EQF in Greece (NCP).
Accreditation by E.S.Y.D
LiberoAssurance has been accredited by the Hellenic Accreditation System (E.SY.D) which has been appointed as the National Accreditation Body of Greece.
E.SY.D is one of the founding members of EA. The European Accreditation Bodies have founded the European co-operation for Accreditation (EA), one of the main goals of which is to promote the international recognition of both the accreditation provided by its members and the accredited services by maintaining reliable multilateral agreements (MLAs).